Five Green Shamrocks: A Counting Rhyme and Hiding Game

Monday, March 3, 2014

The Five Green Shamrock rhyme has been around for quite a while.  I'm not sure where it originated from, but I  wanted to share it, and how I modified the simple rhyme into a fun counting game.  


Five Green Shamrocks

One green shamrock, in the morning dew;
another one sprouted, and then there were two.

Two green shamrocks, growing beneath a tree;
another one sprouted, and then there were three. 

Three green shamrocks, by the cottage door;
another one sprouted, and then there were four.

Four green shamrocks, near a beehive
Another one sprouted, and then there were five.

Five little shamrocks, bright and emerald green,
think of all the luck these shamrocks will bring.  



The set-up was super easy.  I bought the foam shamrocks from Michael's and I stuck a foam number sticker to each one. 

I displayed the shamrocks as I repeated the poem a few times with my girls.

Then, I hid the shamrocks in the living room while the girls tried not to peek from the other room. (You may notice that my past few games involve hiding things, my girls are really into that right now, so I'm going with it). 
  
They had so much fun looking for all the shamrocks.  Once they found all five, we would line up the shamrocks in numerical order and then point to each one while counting.  This was great practice for number recognition and one-to-one correspondence.  

After a few games, the girls started placing the shamrocks in order as they would find each one.  It was so cute, to see them recognize which shamrocks were still hiding, and then to hear them go around calling,"Three, where are you?"  

This is a really simple St. Patrick's Day activity.  Most toddlers love rhyme and repetition, so this would be an easy game to store with the poem in a ziploc baggie, and then pull it out to play again and again. 

Happy St. Patrick's Day!  

Add a comment »

Leave a Reply


You Might Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...