Friday Review: Newborn Twins- Where Do They Sleep?

Friday, August 2, 2013

My husband's colleague recently became a father of twins. A few weeks ago he was looking for advice on things to buy for his twins and where to save his money. This led to a discussion between my husband and I about those early days of where to put our babies to sleep at night.

When our girls were newborn and eating all the time, I wanted to keep them close by my bed.   We had their cribs set up in the nursery, but that was just too far away from me!


My husband and I did a lot of research looking for the best sleeping options. We finally settled on the original co-sleeper. It costs about $200. Here's the link on amazon http://www.amazon.com/Arms-Reach-Natural-Original-Co-Sleeper 

We didn't actually use it as a co-sleeper, meaning we didn't attach it to our bed. Our bed was too high to safely secure it.  I just set it up like a pack-n-play, right next to me.

The difference between the original co-sleeper and a pack-n-play is that two babies can sleep safely in the bassinet. I needed the girls to be at the bassinet level to make it easier for me to reach them while recovering from a c-section. The bassinet was plenty big for our two little ones and it can hold up to 30 lbs. We used to swaddle the girls so tightly that I didn't have to worry about them rolling into each other and suffocating. (Yes, that was a fear of mine).

It comes with one sheet and it is fairly easy to set-up.

I do have trouble taking it down and packing it into it's carrying case. 

We still use the co-sleeper today during nap time. Separate rooms for naps have always worked best for us. So one in the nursery and one in the co-sleeper that stays in the guest room.  Long gone is the bassinet, but it transforms into a mesh sided play pen that can hold up to 50 lbs.

bottom line...

Would I buy the co-sleeper if I had to do it all again? 

No, I would not.

In fact, we found the perfect alternative for us when the girls were a few months old, and for a fraction of the cost. The Fisher Price Rock and Play Sleepers. link to rock and play

My friend Erin was using one for her little girl, and recommended it. The girls loved how it provided a cocoon like atmosphere. The fabric is soft and cozy.

The rockers are lightweight which makes them very portable. They are easy to tote around the house and are great to take on weekend trips. They fold flat.

They can easily be set up next to your bed (or the couch) which means you can  rock your little one back to sleep without getting up (so great when you're running on empty).

The other benefit is that it lays raised at a slight incline. For two babies with severe acid reflux, sleeping with their head higher than their tummy is a huge bonus. There are straps to buckle your little one in to keep them from sliding or rolling out.

The downside is there aren't any sheets that can be removed to wash. You need to spot treat stains.

 I hope this post helps any new mamas of twins trying to narrow down her options. Good luck and let me know if you have any other questions. 

Add a comment »

Leave a Reply


You Might Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...