Friday Review: The Miracle of White Noise: Munchkin Nursery Projector and Sound Machine

Friday, August 30, 2013

The sound machine is one of those things that I wish I had discovered much earlier than I did.  

Before the girls were born, I spent months on bed rest.  I was so incredibly bored.  But,  being sequestered to my bed and the couch did allow me an opportunity to read a lot of books.   One of my favorite parenting books that actually turned out to be quite useful after the girls were born was The Happiest Baby on the Block By Dr. Harvey Karp. He's the guy who coined the 5 S's- swaddling, shushing, side laying, swaying, and sucking.

After a long day of crying and not sleeping (for all 3 of us) the 5 S's weren't working and I was running out of ideas. That's when I remembered watching a movie, the one where Katherine Heigl and some other guy inherit custody of their friends' daughter after they're killed in an accident.  Anyways, in the movie  they hold the screaming baby up under the range hood with the fan on high.  The noise lulls her to sleep.  I thought, why not?  I turned on the kitchen fan and held my swaddled little girls against me while I got as close the the noise as I could.  It worked!  I couldn't believe it!

The kitchen fan filled me with hope in finding other ways to help my overtired little girls fall asleep.  I moved on to the complete darkness of our guest bathroom with the fan switched on, worked even better! 

Around 4 months, I found a white noise app on my iPad that I could set up in their room while they were sleeping.  The noise helped them sleep longer and more soundly.  For months, they frequently woke each other up by crying. The white noise helped the non-crier stay asleep.   We used that app for months!
Until I realized that I missed having access to my iPad.   

After my girls had gotten really good at laying down in their cribs drowsy, but awake,  I came across the Munchkin Nursery Projector and Sound System. It runs about $25 on amazon. 

It has six different sounds or melodies to choose from.  To this day my girls still prefer the white noise set at the highest volume.  

The projector has been an added bonus. There are three discs that project a colorful, rotating scene of either sheep in the night sky, sea creatures under water, or monkeys in a jungle onto the wall or ceiling.  We'll turn on the projector with the white noise when the girls lay down, and then sneak in to turn off the projector before we go to bed.  They are usually sound asleep within minutes of being laid down!  

There's also a blue night light that comes in handy if you need a little extra soft light to check on someone.  

I would highly recommend the Munchkin Nursery Projector and Sound Machine to anyone looking to help their little ones fall asleep. 

3 Comments »

3 Responses to “ Friday Review: The Miracle of White Noise: Munchkin Nursery Projector and Sound Machine ”

  1. Thanks for the giving the information of Sound Machine.kindly share more information

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing the information of Marsona Sound Machines. i would like to get more information.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Update: We own two of these machines. Unfortunately, for no obvious reason, the one's projector just stopped working. When you push the on button, the projector flashes on, but then quickly back off. Luckily, we still have access to the white noise.

    ReplyDelete


You Might Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...