Learning and Having Fun With Rice Bags

Thursday, July 11, 2013

What's a rice bag?

A rice bag is a fun, interactive way to introduce new concepts or reinforce previously learned concepts with young children.  

I made this rice bag by adding a few plastic blue and yellow star beads that I picked up at Michael's Arts and Crafts Store  to a sandwich baggie.  I then filled the baggie about halfway full with uncooked rice. I had a bag of bulk brown rice in my pantry, so that's what I used here. I left plenty of extra room  for the rice and objects to move around. The picture above shows the baggie with the top half folded under. Then, I tightly sealed the baggie.  Just to be on the safe side, I reinforced the closure with LOTS of tape. 

Finally, you are ready for the fun part! Let the kids use their hands on the outside of the bag to move around the rice and uncover the hidden treasure.  

I love how this bag lent itself to some early learning concepts of shape (stars) and color (blue, yellow).  As an added bonus, toddlers will really work those fine  motor skills pushing the rice and grabbing for the small stars.  

Safety First

My girls are almost 18 months old, and I still get nervous with choking hazards. Even though the baggie is tightly sealed the entire time, I would strongly encourage adult supervision if you try this activity at home, and I hope you do give it a try! 

You can really have a lot of fun being creative with these bags. Look back for more rice bags in future posts! 

Add a comment »

Leave a Reply


You Might Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...